We’re not Jewish, but we still love to make latkes when Hanukkah time comes around. The salty potato and onion mixed with sweet applesauce is a special treat that keeps us wanting more. For this recipe, we give thanks and inspiration to Melissa.
1 pound potatoes (about 3 medium), washed and quartered
1 onion, peeled and quartered
½ cup flour
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon black pepper
Cooking spray for the griddle
Directions for Easy Potato Onion Latkes
1. You can grate the potatoes and onions by hand using the large slots of a stand-up grater, but it’s easier if you have a food processor with a grating attachment. You’ll want them pretty coarsely grated.
2. Put all the grated potatoes and onion together in a large kitchen towel and wring it thoroughly to get out as much water as you can from the vegetables, which will help them get crispy when they cook.
3. Transfer the potatoes and onion from the towel to a large bowl and add the eggs, flour, salt, baking powder, and pepper. Mix thoroughly to combine.
4. Heat up your pan or griddle, spray with a good amount of cooking spray, and drop big tablespoonfuls of the latke batter onto the griddle. Press each one down into a pancake shape using the back of a fork. Cook on each side for 5 minutes, flipping with a flapjack. They should be nice and brown.
5. Remove from the heat, sprinkle with a bit more salt, and serve hot with homemade applesauce. Enjoy your latkes! ❤️🤗